Report: Blues Under-23s 6 Bolton Wanderers Under-23s 0

Kane Thompson-Sommers
Kane Thompson-Sommers scored twice in three minutes

The win marked Blues biggest in the league at this level and it could even have been by a greater margin, such was their dominance.

Blues Under-23s notched up a record score in seeing off Bolton Wanderers at Leamington in the PDL.

Albeit the visitors fielded a very young side, Blues showed no mercy and were ruthless in their approach and execution.

Miguel Fernandez (17 minutes) and Josh Andrews (34 minutes) had Blues in control at the break.

And in the second-half both Kane Thompson-Sommers and substitute Jayden Reid scored twice, with the latter hitting the crossbar on two occasions also.

The win marked Blues biggest in the league at this level and it could even have been by a greater margin, such was their dominance.

Blues dominated from the off against a Bolton side that tried to make life difficult, often dropping into a back five when not in possession.

Blues stuck to their game plan and their passing, combinations and movement off the ball - with Andrews providing an active and effective initial focal point - proved too good.

In the 10th minute Geraldo Bajrami chipped through for Thompson-Sommers, who had made a diagonal run across from the right. Goalkeeper Aiden Dowling had to race to the angle of his area to block the subsequent shot.

Seven minutes later Blues made the breakthrough after Ryan Burke and Caolan Boyd-Munce exchanged passes down the left; Boyd-Munce swung over a delicious cross that Fernandez steered high into the net with his head.

Burke then fired just wide of the post after being played in and from the resulting corner, headed back into the mix by Bajrami, Thompson-Sommers headed just over the crossbar.

With Andrews making his presence felt, Jack Concannon flitting about and Boyd-Munce dictating, it turned into a tough afternoon for the visitors.

From a break from deep when Fernandez gained possession, Blues raided swiftly with Andrews playing the ball to Boyd-Munce, whose crossfield pass found Concannon, to the right of the area. He laid the ball square for Andrews, but he hurried his sidefooter and it went into the advertising hoardings wide of the post.

But Andrews made no mistake not long after after Concannon played him through, down the left, and he slotted a low shot past the 'keeper from inside the box.

Another neat move saw Fernandez threaten, after the ball was prodded into him. The 'keeper saved at his feet initially, Fernandez retrieved the loose ball, spun round onto his left foot but thumped his shot wide of the far post.

Moha Ramos was watching all this unfold until 42nd minute, when he stretched to get fingertips to help over a free-kick by Joe White.

But it was pretty much one-way traffic in the first-half, summed up when a lovely move that saw Boyd-Munce's deft touch free Concannon on the surge resulted in Burke forcing a good near post save by Dowling from the left edge of the box.

Blues replaced Fernandez with Reid at the interval and the substitute certainly made his mark as there was no respite for Bolton from Steve Spooner's side.

Bolton changed one of their centre-halves and altered shape a little, but were unable to stem the wave of Blues attacks.

In the 49th minute Boyd-Munce, foraging down the left after a cleared corner, struck the face of the crossbar with a lofted centre, and from the scramble that followed Andrews snatched a chance wide from Bajrami's pass.

Blues third and Reid's first goal came in the 53rd minute, just as Bolton could reasonably hope of threatening themselves.

Bajrami, who oozed class throughout, stopped a breakaway in its tracks with a perfectly timed tackle in the centre circle, Thompson-Sommers took the ball forward and with Bolton on the back foot, played it to the left for Reid to open his body up and sidefoot it, first time, into the bottom corner from just inside the area.

The captain almost got in on the act but for Dowling to make a decent stop, with his feet, from a fierce shot after Concannon set him up with the short pull-back, after a corner.

Ben Forrest made his return from injury, replacing Nico Gordon at right-back, who had taken a knock from a clattering tackle.

In the 63rd minute, a quickly taken free-kick by Boyd-Munce found Burke, who in turn linked with Concannon. His cross into the heart of the area was met by Thompson-Sommers, stooping forward to dive and head past the 'keeper.

Three minutes later Thompson-Sommers was at it again, nudging the ball into the corner of the net after Reid's Dan Crowley-esque scoop pass over the defence.

Blues didn't take their foot off the gas and Bolton, to their credit, kept plugging away despite knowing it was a thankless task.

Reid burst clean through and let rip, only to be denied by Dowling, who tipped his rising drive onto the crossbar.

Then Andrews teed-up Thompson-Sommers inside the area for his hat-trick and although he absolutely belted the ball from 15 yards with tremendous power, Dowling stood up and parried it away.

In the 79th minute Blues hit their sixth, from Burke's inswinging cross; Reid stole into the box and directed a smart downward header that bounced up off the turf and past the 'keeper's diving attempt to save.

Aside from the odd probe, Bolton never really troubled Blues after the break and Ramos' most alarming moment came when he had to punch clear a free-kick amid a lot of bodies.

Blues and Reid could have iced the victory in fine style as the striker took a Tate Campbell pass on the right and tried a delicate chip that drifted over Dowling but came back off the woodwork.

Blues: Ramos, Gordon (Forrest 62), Burke, Stirk (Campbell 64), Redmond, Bajrami, Thompson-Sommers, Boyd-Munce, Andrews, Concannon, Fernandez (Reid ht). Subs not used: Siviter, Roberts.