Report: Blues 1 Bournemouth 3

Blues beaten by the Cherries.


Blues suffered defeat against Bournemouth at the St. Andrew's Trillion Trophy Stadium.

The recently relegated Cherries showed their quality, a goal from Arnaut Danjuma and a brace from David Brooks either side of half-time put them 3-0 up. 

Scott Hogan headed home his first goal of the season for Blues ahead of the hour-mark, but it ultimately proved to be consolation, as despite late efforts, Aitor Karanka's side were unable to find a way back into the contest. 

There were four changes made to the Blues side that lost to Wycombe in midweek. Scott Hogan, Riley McGree, Caolan Boyd-Munce and Maikel Kieftenbeld were back in the starting line-up in place of Ivan Sanchez, Kristian Pedersen, Jeremie Bela and the suspended Ivan Sunjic.

Blues made a positive start and just 90 seconds in McGree hit a shot wide of the upright.

But then just a minute later, Mikel San José needed to be alert to clear the ball away for a corner from just in front of his own goal line.

With nine minutes on the clock, Bournemouth took the lead after Stanislas' pass found Danjuma to the left of the Blues box and the Cherries winger did well to find the far corner of the net with a low shot past Etheridge.

Midway through the half, Hogan found himself in a decent shooting position, but he drilled his effort well wide.

However, it was Bournemouth who were enjoying most of the attacking play and Etheridge produced a decent save to deny Solanke before Marc Roberts was forced to turn a dangerous ball behind for a corner.

Blues were certainly not out of it though and they were not far away when McGree's neat cross from the left flank was headed narrowly wide by Gary Gardner.

Just as Blues were looking the more likely side to score, it was Bournemouth that doubled their advantage in fortuitous fashion just before the break.

Brooks tried his luck with a shot from outside the box and it struck Roberts on the heel before deflecting into the bottom left-hand corner of the net, with Etheridge wrong footed.

Half-time: Blues 0 Bournemouth 2

Five minutes into the second-half, Brooks got his second of the game. 

Solanke's shot struck the post but rebounded kindly to Brooks, who made no mistake as he lashed it into the roof of the net from inside the box. 

Almost immediately, Karanka made his first change of the afternoon when he sent on Jeremie Bela in place of McGree.

And it paid immediate dividends as Bela's cross found Hogan who had evaded his marker at the front post and headed home to pull a goal back for Blues. 

With just over an hour played, Blues made a second attacking substitution with Jonathan Leko replacing Hogan.

With 20 to play, Blues were beginning to show greater attacking intent as they sought to find a way back into the contest, but at the same time they were inevitably leaving themselves more open, particularly on the counter-attack.

And had it not been for brilliant last-gasp tackle by Roberts deep inside his area, Bournemouth would have extended their advantage.

Moments later, Etheridge was called into action and produced a fine save to thwart Lerma.

Blues then had a chance of their own, Jutkiewicz's shot going inches wide of the post.

Bela then tried his luck with a curling effort, but again it was narrowly off target.

With time running out, Blues were continuing to press and Bournemouth ‘keeper Begovic was forced to tip Leko's shot behind from just under his own crossbar.

Blues: Etheridge, Colin, Roberts, Kieftenbeld, Hogan (Leko, 67), Jutkiewicz, Dean, McGree (Bela, 54), San José, Gardner, Boyd-Munce.

Subs not used: Prieto, Sanchez, Toral, Dacres-Cogley, Davis.

Bookings: San Jose (67), Jutkiewicz (81).

Goals: Hogan (55)

Bournemouth: Begovic, Kelly, Mepham, Brooks, Lerma, Solanke, Danjuma, Cook (Gosling, 38), Stacey, Stanislas, Rico.

Subs not used: Travers, Gosling, Surridge, Smith, Riquelme, Simpson, King.

Bookings: Stanislas (72).

Goals: Danjuma (9), Brooks (42, 50).

Referee: Jarred Gillett.