Report: Blues 1 Wycombe Wanderers 2

A late defeat at St. Andrew's.


Blues suffered a last-gasp defeat to Championship newcomers Wycombe at the St. Andrew’s Trillion Trophy Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Aitor Karanka’s side looked to be on their way to a third win on the spin after Marc Roberts headed them into a first-half lead.

But the Chairboys claimed all the spoils after Scott Kashket fired home a late leveller, before disaster struck in the 93rd minute when Kristian Pedersen headed into his own net.

Karanka made three changes to his starting XI, with Maxime Colin, Jeremie Bela and Gary Gardner coming in for Jonathan Leko, Riley McGree and Josh Dacres-Cogley.

Blues were given an early scare after Neil Etheridge conceded a needless corner. Jacobson curled the dead ball in, but Akinfenwa flashed his close-range header well wide of the post.

A great piece of passing play involving Ivan Sunjic and Harlee Dean saw the ball reach Mikel San José on the edge of the box, but his well-struck shot was tipped over by Allsop in the visitors’ goal.

Blues were showing some good pace and energy and Bela was not too far away when he curled the ball over the Wycombe bar from a tight angle.

The hosts were continuing to cause problems for the visiting defenders as they were switching the ball between the wingers and the next opportunity dropped to Sanchez. But from 18 yards he should have done better, as he fired over.

Although Blues were on top, Wycombe were still able to present a threat of their own and fashioned three decent chances in just over a minute.

Horgan saw his shot deflected behind for a corner, before Akinfenwa headed over. Jacobson then drilled a good chance just the wrong side of Etheridge’s upright.

In what was becoming an increasingly open contest, Jutkiewicz attempted an audacious volley from 30 yards after he met Etheridge’s long clearance but it flew several yards off target.

With 38 gone, Wycombe had their best chance of the half so far after winning a free-kick in a dangerous position just in front of the Blues area.

Jacobson stepped up and struck it brilliantly, but Blues stopper Etheridge was equal to it and tipped his goalbound effort over the bar.

But just over a minute later, it was the hosts that took the lead after Bela whipped in a corner and Roberts rose highest to head home.

With half-time rapidly approaching Gardner tested Allsop with a header, but the Wycombe man collected the ball at the second attempt.

Half-time: Blues 1 Wycombe 0

Both sides were unchanged after the break, with Blues kicking towards the Tilton Road.

There was plenty of urgency from both sides in the opening minutes of the half, but it was Blues who fashioned the first opening.

Jutkiewicz was off target with a header before the same player had his shot from the edge of the box saved.

Then at the other end of pitch, Wheeler was unfortunate to see his goalbound attempt blocked.

Pedersen was then forced into a vital clearance from inside his box, as he came under pressure from two Wycombe players.

With 64 gone, Blues made their first change of the evening as McGree was sent on in place of Gardner.

Wycombe were continuing to push hard in search of an equaliser, but the Blues defence was putting in some key tackles around the edge of their box and standing firm.

McGree put a teasing ball in from the right which just evaded Bela who had ghosted in at the far post.

With 15 minutes of normal time remaining, Wycombe found the equaliser that their second-half play had been threatening.

Onyedinma tried a snapshot from 10 yards and it was turned home from close range by Kashket.

Wycombe had a shout for a penalty turned down soon after as Akinfenwa went down in the area after a challenge from Dean. But the referee waved away their loud protestations.

But with the game two minutes into stoppage time, Wycombe scored a decisive second goal to win the contest, Pedersen heading the ball into his own net. 

Blues (4-2-3-1): Etheridge, Colin, Pedersen, Roberts, Jutkiewicz, Bela, Dean, Sanchez (Leko, 78), San José, Gardner (McGree, 64), Sunjic.

Subs not used: Prieto, Kieftenbeld, Hogan, Dacres-Cogley, Boyd-Munce.

Bookings: Sunjic (69)

Goals: Roberts (40)

Wycombe: Allsop, Grimmer, Jacobson, Stewart, Wheeler, Kashket, Knight, Horgan, Thompson, Akinfenwa, Adeniran (Mehmeti, 64).

Subs not used: Stockdale, Tafazolli, Ikpeazu, Bloomfield, Onyedinma, Samuel.

Bookings: None.

Goals: Kashket (75), Pedersen (OG, 90+2).

Referee: Josh Smith.